Sunday, December 27, 2009

This Was Never Funny.

Hello and welcome to This Was Never Funny, a new segment of the blog where I present something that has never been funny, yet continues to exist in some form or another in popular culture. Today's "winner" is: White people wearing giant afro wigs.


This is not now, nor has it ever been even remotely funny. It's not even funny in a painfully self-aware, post-post-post ironic meta sort of way. It's just uninspired and embarrassing. I know white people have a history of hijacking black fashion styles, music, manner of speech, motherland, etc., but the giant afro wig is just inexcusable.


Even though I don't advocate this kind of dumbass-ness (it's a word, look it up), I think I would prefer white folks going the "black face route" and dressing up as their "favorite rapper", ala a campus Halloween party at some college in Texas/North Carolina/Boston. At least this is "pushing the envelope" some and is funny in a "My God, I can't believe how outrageous/utterly offensive this is" kind of way.


When The Whites put their minds to it, they can be quiet hilarious, all I ask is that they try harder and don't take the easy way out by purchasing a giant afro wig at the local costume shop/Wal-Mart Super Store or wherever the hell those things are bought. Don't sell yourself short, you're "better than that".

1 comment: