Friday, October 9, 2009

Let's grab a quick nap then knit some scarves.

Sometimes I think my local college radio station might be a little too eclectic. It's like they deliberately decided to play a Pixies song, followed by a salsa number, then some polka/punk hybrid tune and to close out the set, "All Night Long" by Lionel Richie in a concentrated effort to say "Hey, look how vast and varied our musical tastes are. Aren't we sooo open-minded?" Frankly I find it very annoying and grotesquely overt, much like this video:


I'm not a musicologist or even a professional asshole critic, but I doubt the fore bearers of the "twee pop" genre intended for their music to be associated with pretentious teens who fetishize naps and knitting. Again, what a blatantly contrived attempt to conform to some preconceived "rules" or norms of a particular subculture. Now, perhaps I'm being too harsh, after all, these are teenagers and everyone knows what a "confusing" time our teen years can be, trying to find our place in the world and hoping someone "gets us." But fuck! Knitting? NAPPING?! BOWL CUTS?! Look, I dig Tiger Trap, Talulah Gosh and Belle & Sebastian before they became a power-pop band as much as the next guy, but I never went around acting like a precious little tool just because I happened to enjoy a "pussified" genre of music.
Photobucket

Don't get me wrong, I'm not, nor have I ever been an "alpha male" type, (I just started getting hair underneath my armpits last Thursday)but give me a break!
Photobucket

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and these kids are 100% sincere and really are that lame. I can't "see into their hearts/minds" like Jesus or Superman. So sure, they might be annoying assholes with fucked-up haircuts, but at least they have decent taste in music, and that's what really matters, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment